Dr. Allen Weiss, CEO of NCH Healthcare will talk about SW Florida’s Blue Zones Project & Minorities on September 9th at noon at the CareerSource SWFL location at 750 Fifth Street in Immokalee.
Paula DiGrigoli, Blue Zones Engagement Lead and co-organizer of Ciclovia Immokalee will also join us.
The Blue Zones Project is a community-wide well-being initiative designed to help make the healthy choice the easy choice.
Follow the Facebook Page (https://goo.gl/VXhwXS) to receive updates about the Blue Zones Project in other areas of our community: Businesses, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Schools, Faith-based community to name a few aspects of this initiative.
Sign-up on the website: https://southwestflorida.bluezonesproject.com/
There are several opportunities to connect with Blue Zones Project around the Collier County prior to the meeting;
Family, Food & Fun Come to the Community event in Cambier Park on September 1st, 2015 at 5:30 to 6:30 https://goo.gl/OeyLhm Family, Food & Fun
Support the Blue Zones Project at the Collier County School Board Meeting September 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm in the MLK Administration Building. Wear something blue! If you want to provide public comment, you need to arrive by 5:15 pm to register.
And here some facts regarding the discussion around Collier County Public Schools and the School Pledge:
- NCH Healthcare System is the funding sponsor for this project. No organization, including the schools are being asked to pay for this program. No tax dollars or government funds are being used to fund this project.
- This is a “WE” project meaning every individual, business, and organization in the community has the opportunity to participate. WE decide as a community what is best for our community.
- Each principal, along with their wellness committee members (staff and parents) can decide what is best for each school.
- The School Pledge has a menu of options for the wellness committees to choose from. Our team will work with the schools to help provide guidance and flexibility for the pledge options.
- The School Pledge has more flexibility than it appears at first glance as any item is negotiable. Also, schools can elect to create up to 3 of their own pledge options. Ultimately, a school will only select items that the principal and wellness committee (staff, parents and students, as appropriate) decides on.
- The wellness best practices listed on the pledge complement and enhance the many healthy initiatives CCPS is already doing, such as the B-FIT, wellness committees and safe routes to schools program.
- The Blue Zones Project will assist schools by hiring a Schools Coordinator to assist the schools as they implement programs to maximize the health and wellness of our students.